01 Nov Anti-Aging Techniques That Work
We all want our skin to look younger and healthier. That’s the job of the team at Spectrum Dermatology. And so many factors contribute to the changes in the skin through the years – some of these factors you cannot influence, but many others you absolutely can.
The genetic and hormonal factors which have some influence, of course cannot be changed, however many external influences as to the extent of skin aging can be addressed. If only people would address these influences before the signs of aging begin to rear their ugly heads. However, the good news is it’s never too late to begin an anti-aging regimen.
Anti-ager # 1 – Diet directly affects the way in which you age.
- Drink water and lots of it. Go easy on the alcohol. Yes, red wine has antioxidants, but also can dilate blood vessels, making the skin prone to rosacea.
- Cut back on processed foods and sugars. These can cause inflammation and destroy skin cells.
- Take Vitamin D supplements
- Eat omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids that protect the moisture barrier of the skin.
Anti-ager # 2 – Sun Exposure
- Divide your sun exposure in half. Staying out of the sun is not possible, but cutting your time in the sun in half will do wonders.
- Use at least a SPF of 30 on your face, neck and ears. Older skin is much more vulnerable to UV rays. Many make up bases and moisturizers have UV protection…. something is always better than nothing.
- Walk on the shady side of the street. Be cognizant of the sun and small ways you can avoid it…. they add up.
- Wear UV protective clothing when exercising.
- Avoid exercising in the heat of the day.
Anti-ager # 3 – Adding Retinoids
The very best topical cream to aid in the aging process is a retinoid. Retinoids are a vitamin A compound that boosts collagen production and cell turnover. It also helps unclog pores and stimulate blood flow, giving you a brighter, healthier appearance.
- Ask a dermatologist for a prescription strength retinoid. Any dermatology office or medical day spa can provide you with one.
- Follow directions carefully.
- Over the counter will give you a lesser, but still noticeable improvement.
- Apply at night, as retinoids make the skin more sun sensitive.
Anti-Ager # 4 – Choosing the right products
There are more products and procedures available for anti-aging than one can count, so make sure what you choose counts.
- Peels are a great way to slough off the cells that have a hard time regenerating as we age. A chemical peel goes deeper than the facial or microdermabrasion creams.
- Seek a dermatologist for advice for your particular concerns. They have new and innovative products and procedures that can create visible improvement to sun damaged aging skin. Resurfacing can improve texture while minimizing wrinkles, sun spots and acne scars.
Spectrum Dermatology can help restore and repair your skin
So, as you can see there is a lot one can do to help with the inevitable. Yes, we all age, that is a fact of life; but with a little knowledge, determination and a well-trained dermatologist, aging beautifully can also be a fact of your life. Meet our amazing providers and learn more about Spectrum Dermatology. We’d be happy to help you – (480) 948-8400.